Friday, June 6, 2008

Cornmeal Pizza



Pretty sucky weather over here in Seattle. It's June, and it's rainy. I finally braved the rain and went for a run this morning. It actually wasn't that bad. Quite refreshing. But now I'm cold. Even when surrounded in fleece. But last night I made a quite epic pizza. I went to the Bellevue Farmer's Market for the first time this season. There was this amazing toffee. I will get some next time. I was expecting to get all the vegetables for the pizza from the farmer's market. In Fort Collins, the market has any vegetable you could possibly want. But not here. So I only bought onions and scrumptious heirloom tomatoes. I saw the recipe for polenta in one of my cookbooks, "The Gluten-Free Vegan" by Susan O'Brien. I'd never had it before so it's been enticing me for quite a while now. I saw that my mom had cornmeal in the cupboard (I don't have that at home) so it reminded me and motivated me to make it. It was actually really easy. and yummy too. Actually, it didn't really taste like much. If anyone has any suggestions about what herbs to add that would be wonderful! But I'm definitely going to make it again. I think you can buy cornmeal in bulk from Whole Foods.....

Polenta Crust
3 c soy milk
4 c cornmeal

Boil the soy milk, then gradually add in the cornmeal. It should be like really thick oatmeal. I just stopped here and started making 3 inch diameter pizza crusts on a oiled cookie sheet. The recipe said to let it sit on the stove for 20 minutes. I think it would burn and dry out. Then bake at 350 for 20 minutes

Pizza Toppings
Sauce (I had premade from the store)
Cheese (Mozzarella?)
Veggies (Onions, Green Pepper, Tomatoes)
Pineapple (no pizza is complete without)
Meat or protein topping (black beans*)

After crusts have baked for 20 minutes add the toppings and then put back in the oven for 25 minutes. Enjoy!

*I also made sorta of a mexican style pizza (as you can see in my photo). Didn't use any sauce but put black beans, veggies on. It was good of course. Can't go wrong with mexican. So this polenta is very versatile!

1 comment:

Shann said...

This is so good! I love this dish and the recipe is easy- I'm going to try and make it myself-
I like your recipe and food blog alot- the photos are great too!