Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Lynn eats meat....

.....Yes, I do. I randomly came across this blog last week and saw this amazing recipe for Stuffed Cabbage Rolls. Complete with quinoa, veggies and tomato sauce! Favorites! Even though it called for meat I decided to make it. I bought ground bison from Denver so it's ok. The rolls took a while to make but I did it on Saturday so it was my fun for the day. It was pretty easy other than the cabbage ripping when I would try to pull it off. I'm pretty sure there's a trick to that but I didn't know. It turned out fine though. They were very good! Especially with the tomato sauce! I'm not used to eating this much meat though so I don't think my stomach is handling it very well.

Another thing I made at the same time was Chex Mix! I usually eat Rice Chex for a morning snack but I wanted to spice it up a little. I googled gluten free chex recipes and they more than a few on the chex website! Impressive, or just trying to bring in a new market! The mix was very good and easy, a little sweet, like carmel, so I keep eating it all night. But yum! I love cooking!
Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
(Makes 10 rolls)
1 lb ground meat (I used ground bison)
1 egg
1 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 onion, chopped
1 C assorted vegetables, chopped (I used an Italian frozen mix)
a few cloves of garlic, roughly minced
3/4 C quinoa (cooked)
large cabbage leaves
2 c tomato sauce

1. Bring an inch of water to boil in a pot large enough to hold your cabbage leaves, and place a steamer basket over the water.
2. Place the cabbage leaves in the basket, cover the pot, and let steam for 8-10 minutes.
3. Remove them to a bowl of cold water and let them cool down while you mix up the filling.
4. Mix together the ground meat, egg, salt, paprika and pepper.
5. Put onion, vegetables and garlic in your food processor or whatever you use (I used a blender and it worked fine) to grind things up and pulse until mostly smooth.
6. Scrape this mixture into the meat, along with the quinoa. Mix everything together.
7. Spread half of the tomato sauce in a large, deep saucepan and set aside.
8. Working one at a time, place a cabbage leaf on your work surface. Plop some of the meat mixture, a little less than baseball sized, onto the center of the leaf. Fold the sides in tightly, then roll the leaf around the meat.
9. Place rolled cabbage into the saucepan with the tomato sauce.
10. Repeat, nestling stuffed cabbages in together until everything is used up.
11. Pour the rest of the sauce over the top, cover, and cook on VERY low heat for 1 1/2 to 2 hours.
Ginger-Rice Chex Mix
1/4cup packed brown sugar
1/4cup butter or margarine
1/4cup honey
1 1/2teaspoons ground ginger or cardamom
6cups Rice Chex® cereal (gluten free)
1cup dried banana chips
1cup unblanched whole almonds
1cup flaked coconut
1/2cup sweetened dried cranberries or dried pineapple



Timer-Saver
For easy cleanup, line your pan with nonstick foil or parchment paper instead of using cooking spray.

It's okay to use two 13x9-inch rectangular baking pans instead of the roasting pan.
1.Heat oven to 250°F. Spray large roasting pan with cooking spray.
2.In 1-quart saucepan, heat brown sugar, butter, honey and ginger to boiling. Remove from heat; cool slightly. Into roasting pan, measure cereal, banana chips, almonds and coconut. Stir in brown sugar mixture until evenly coated.
3.Bake 50 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Spread on waxed paper or foil; cool about 15 minutes. Place in serving bowl; stir in cranberries. Store in airtight container.

2 comments:

Darius T. Williams said...

I'm loving the cabbage rolls - although anything with meat and cabbage typically gets my vote!

ABSOLUTELY NOT MARTHA said...

just discovered your blog and thought you may like to check out mine some time.