Monday, July 19, 2010

Gluten Free Fruit Crisp


Exciting foodie weekend for me. I finally got my act together and made it to the Cherry Creek Farmer's Market on time Saturday. Too bad it was a record 102 degree high that day. It made for super hot shopping :( I haven't been yet this year so I was excited to see the gluten free offerings. The only stand that really interested me was one with gluten free cookies, breads and brownies. I went up and looked at the menu and saw it was all junkie sugar stuff and was about to turn away. But then the attendant caught me and said hi. I made a comment about how the bread she had out to sample was crumbly, like all gluten free stuff. She thought I was being mean and responded "it's been out in the hot sun for a while" I was like, right because gluten free stuff also melts (it really does). Then I explained that I am gluten free and I know everything crumbles and that's what sucks about it. So then we were talking for bit and finally I felt like I had to buy something. So I bought a piece of lemon poppyseed bread and it was pretty good actually. Don't think I've had poppyseed something for awhile (that used to be my favorite kind of muffin). After that stand I came across a FABULOUS FIND. Remember I mentioned those tamales from Boulder in my last post. Well, they were there! In Denver! So great! They even had frozen ones I could take home too. I bought some bean and spinach ones. And I had one tonight. So good! I will be going to the Farmers Market every Saturday now!
Peaches are just coming into season right now. So I bought some at the farmer's market, the famous Palisade Peaches. As well as some cherries and decided to whip up a fruit crisp for dessert. I made this recipe many times last summer but I never blogged about it. It was very good and my boyfriend liked it too. Not too sweet or crunchy. I also like this recipe because the flours are basic ones I always have. The crisp part would work with any fruit too! Here's the recipe.

Gluten Free Fruit Crisp
(Makes 4 servings)

2-3 Cups Fruit (I used blueberries, peaches and cherries)
1/2 C white sugar
1 1/2 TBS cornstarch
3/4 C brown rice flour
1/2 tsp xanthan gum
1/4 C brown sugar
1/2 C crushed Enjoy Life Very Berry Granola
1/3 C butter (I used Vegan Earth Balance)

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
2. Prepare fruit by cutting and/or pitting. Can use frozen but thawed and drained fruit.
3. Place fruit into 9x9 pan, spread evenly.
4. Sprinkle fruit with white sugar and cornstarch.
5. Toss mixture to make sure evenly distributed.
6. In bowl, mix brown rice flour and xanthan gum.
7. Add brown sugar, mix again.
8. Add smashed granola.
9. Cut butter into the flour mix. The topping should look like coarse, crumbly cornmeal when ready.
10. Pour topping onto fruit in pan. Layer evenly.
11. Bake for 50 minutes. The fruit juices will be dark and bubbling. With a browned topping when it is done.
12. Enjoy a la mode or plain!

3 comments:

My Velvet Bumper said...

I have become quite fond of reading your gluten free escapades and gluten free bonding moments. That crisp looks great! Housewife points ;);)

RedFreckles said...

Thanks Jules! You blog so much! I almost can't keep up! I like reading yours too.

Shann said...

Geesh- awesome dessert! Fruity desserts are so perfect for summer!
I like to double the crust portion of the recipe sometimes because it's so good :)