Saturday, September 18, 2010

Gluten Free Fair and Tour


A lot has been going on in the last two weeks. And a bunch of gluten free stuff happened the week before that but I'm just getting to blogging about it now. But I'm here and I ready to spill it all. The Denver Chapter of the Celiac Sprue Association (CSA) hosted a Gluten Free Food Fair a few weekends ago. It was so great! There were about 90 vendors there, all with gluten free food! It ranged from Mom and Pop places to huge companies like Udi's, Maggianos, Chipotle. There was so many samples to taste and people the push threw. The space was not big enough for the amount of people that were there! They passed the number of expected attendees for the whole thing in the just the first hour! We gluten frees are taking over the world! There was so much food I could not possibly stomach all of it. Much of the food was kind of junky because gluten is in breads, cookies, cakes and sweets like that. I don't each much of that stuff but I took the chance to try things I've seen at the store but have never bought because it was expensive and I didn't know if it was good. Some examples were Udi's Bagels, Kinnikinnick Donuts, Canyon Bakehouse Cinnamon Bread. I promptly bought the cinnamon bread next time I was at the store! Yum! After I filled my bag with coupons, samples and a free loaf of bread from Rudis! (Not so great, crumbly) I volunteered at a table handing out samples. If you're in Denver be sure to look for it next year! Not to be missed, but get there in the first hour.
I went to another gluten free event. I've been seeing "Gluten Free Store Tours" at many Whole Foods recently. Finally, I decided to go on one. I knew I'd probably already know of everything but what the heck. So I get there and am waiting. The tour guide comes and gives us really nice Whole Foods bags (the kind at the check stand) and says we can choose 3 GF items to take home with us in the bag! NO WAY! So we walk around the store, I chime in on a few things and then I get my free items! I chose a frozen pasta (was not good), Canyon Bakehouse Muffins (good!) and a quinoa cereal. Look out for these at your local Whole Foods. I see them every month now.

No comments: